Foster City, CA • Full-time Supplier Quality Engineer (Chassis Suspension System)
Supplier Quality Engineer (Chassis Suspension System)
Procurement & Strategic PartnershipsApply for this position
The Supplier Quality Engineer will play a key role in ensuring world-class performance of the Zoox prototype and production supply base and drive continuous improvement. The ideal candidate will be entrepreneurial, driven, energetic, detailed, and team-oriented.
Candidates with experience in Automotive Chassis Suspension system (conventional or Air) and familiarity with parts such as: jounce bumpers, shocks, leaf & coil springs, pressure regulated valves, actuators and further having a good understanding of mfg processes such as - Tube bending, brake control systems, general machining & sheet metal forming will be highly preferred.
- Works with Vehicle Systems Engineering to assess the manufacturability of new product designs.
- Works with Engineering and Strategic Sourcing managers to select appropriate suppliers with the right manufacturing knowhow by conducting detailed Supplier process assessments/audits and further provides feedback to management on final selection.
- Works with suppliers on all technical design elements of the drawing. Conducts CAD model and print reviews with suppliers to access design for manufacturability, and further collaborates in investigating/developing new manufacturing techniques (if necessary) to meet the design requirements.
- Leads the Supplier Industrialization Roadmap (SIR), conducting product and process development activities and capability assessment at the supplier manufacturing site.
- Identifies supplier Capex production equipment, tooling and fixturing requirements in line with the project implementation timelines and further drives all qualification activities to verify and validate tooling and fixturing.
- Works with strategic sourcing managers to assess supplier readiness for different Zoox vehicle build events, identifies and highlights risks related to production ramp and further collaborates and reports back on risk mitigation plans to the management.
- Responsible for managing and continuously improving the APQP (Advanced Product Quality Planning) process with suppliers from initial design stage through PPAP submission and all the way through SOP (start of production).
- Responsible for training and setting up the supplier in the Zoox Supplier quality Portal, further reviews prototype and production parts quality document submissions from suppliers, and provides feedback as and when required.
- Leads RCCA analysis with suppliers, issues corrective action, provides support with immediate containment, short-term and long-term permanent corrective actions and further ensures that supplier process documentation is updated with the changes to mfg process.
- Provide support to Manufacturing, Quality, and Vehicle Engineering regarding analysis and disposition of suspect supplier material. As and when required, participates in MRB ( material review board) disposition meetings.
- Responsible for analyzing and reporting the incoming supplier part quality metrics for the assigned supply base, which includes First Article Inspection reports, Cp/Cpk analysis, Pareto, Statistical Process Control, and Process Capability Studies.
- Drive continuous improvement throughout the supply base using quality and lean manufacturing tools.
- Improve Zoox supplier quality processes such as assessments, supplier management, part approval process.
- Up to 40 % domestic/international travel required, occasionally on short notice.
- Candidates with experience in Automotive Chassis Suspension system (conventional or Air) and familiarity with parts such as - jounce bumpers, shocks, leaf & coil springs, pressure regulated valves, actuators and further having a good understanding of mfg processes such as - Tube bending, brake control systems, general machining & sheet metal forming will be highly preferred.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Industrial Engineering or equivalent engineering degree.
- Minimum 6 years of experience in Quality, Supplier Quality, or Manufacturing, in the automotive, aviation, or medical device industries or a combination of both Supplier Quality and Internal Plant quality development.
- Experience in New Product Introduction (NPI) - Experience creating and improving quality systems
- Experience using problem-solving techniques such as Six-Sigma, 8-Discipline, Pareto Charts, Regression Analysis, ANOVA, DOE, Fish Bone Analysis, Red-X.
- Experience with core process control tools such as Process Flow Diagrams, Process FMEAs, Process Control Plans, SPC, MSA, Process Capability.
- Experience with manufacturing processes such as - Injection Molding, stamping, and electromechanical assemblies.
- Working knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing, Tooling and Fixture Verification and validation, and final buyoff at the supplier.
- Working knowledge of Quality and Automotive systems such as ISO 9000 and IATF 16949.
- Certifications such as CQE from ASQ, Six Sigma Green Belt, certified Quality Systems Auditor highly preferred.
- Solid knowledge of conducting Supplier assessments, APQP and PPAP, product launch, and vendor ramp experience.
- Fully literate in Microsoft computer applications such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Experience working with Google Workspace preferred.
- There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $145,000 to $225,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
- Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
Copyright Zoox, Inc. 2021. All Rights Reserved.